Week in Review: Strong First Quarter for IPOs, JOBS Act Becomes Law
Posted by | April 6, 2012
The first quarter of 2012 has come and gone, leaving positive signs for venture capitalists. Twenty venture-backed start-ups made their IPO in the past three months, raising $1.4 billion. This is nearly double last year’s numbers for the same period—when 11 IPOs raised $768 million—and was the most active first quarter for IPOs since 2000. Tech IPOs accounted for over half of the companies.
And this was before the JOBS Act was signed into law by President Obama yesterday. The new law loosens the strict SEC regulations previously in place to offer new opportunities for emerging growth companies to seek financing or go IPO. Check back here for updates on the impact of the law once it’s fully rolled out.
Here’s our latest partner company news:
- AdvantEdge Healthcare Solutions acquired COMPUDATA, an Ohio-based medical billing company. This represents AHS’ fifth acquisition since mid-2009, and expands the company’s footprint in Ohio and Pennsylvania while strengthening the company’s anesthesia practice customer base. In addition, you can now find AHS on Facebook and Twitter.
- MegaPath recognized Bridgevine with a Sales Excellence Award, one of its annual awards that spotlight the growth and success of its top channel partners.
- Good Start Genetics announced a $14 million Series B financing and three key hires. BioCentury, Boston Business Journal, CNNMoney / Fortune, Fierce Medical Devices, FinSMEs, IVD Technology, Mass High Tech, PEHub, Xconomy and VentureWire / Dow Jones picked up on the news.
- MediaMath partnered with PubliGroupe to bring a state-of-the-art media buying platform and services to advertisers and agencies in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. The platform will be built with MediaMath technology.
- Medivo launched a new blog called “Beyond the Pill“, which provides life science marketers with timely analysis of the critical issues driving an evolution of the industry’s traditional commercial model toward new markets.
- NovaSom announced its collaboration with Jefferson School of Population Health to convene the first expert advisory board exploring the impact of undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea on healthcare costs and productivity in the workplace.
- NuPathe presented a company overview at the 11th annual Needham Healthcare Conference this past Tuesday.
- Spongecell’s Blythe Dunham, Co-founder and Principal Software Architect, was featured on Rescuecom’s computer support blog.
To read more of our Week in Review series, please use the following feed: www.safeguard.com/WeekInReview. Have a great weekend!